koKo_

PC smelling of ozone

So a couple of days ago, I started noticing that my computer of not even 1 year old is smelling of ozone everytime I use it. It doesnt even have to be games either, I can be typing a paper and it will still happen. I opened the case up, cleaned out some dust, and sniffed around.

The smell seemed to be coming from the GPU, but I would have to open up my case while playing to make sure. Before I do that though, and potentially drop a few hundred dollars on a new part, does anyone have any experience with this? And if you do, what did you do to fix it/and or did you replace it? Appreciate the help :)

Edit: typo

Edited by koKoRoro

I have no idea what ozone smells like TBH.

• Upvote 7

i think its the PSU if anything

• Upvote 2

blake&mortimer.jpg

Narrator: The French man ferociously points at the cold, raging night that beckons him. The only thought that befalls him during that rainy evening is "The fuck is an ozone?"

i think its the PSU if anything

Agreed, this is the most likely culprit.

• Upvote 1

If its got onboard graphics/sound then you could try removing parts from the machine one by one and seeing when it stops making the strange smell.  Doing it that way should allow you to go back to a barebones machine and limit the possibilities or guesswork.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the input :)

I can get my hands on an old GPU, so I can replace that part and see if the smell is still there. If it is, I'll see if my dad can get a PSU from his workplace

Edited by koKoRoro

Just downgraded myself to a Nvidia GeForce 470 or something similar to that. Will see how it runs for the next few days

• Upvote 1

Just downgraded myself to a Nvidia GeForce 470 or something similar to that. Will see how it runs for the next few days

Thats the way to sort it...swap shit out and narrow down the options.

The smell seems to have gone away, but it could come back in the next couple of days. I'll have to try out some games to see how it holds up.

im really disappointed no one has told you "have you tried turning it on and off"  

• Upvote 2