Sign in to follow this  
You suck and have no life

Vitamin D and Little Miss Sunshine

I would like to derail this topic with a more scientific conversation. Sunlight can be absorbed through the skin and be used to produce vitamin D. Along with sunlight also comes with harmful UV rays. White people are adapted to more colder environments and thus with less sun intensity, their white skin helps them get the most of their vitamin D. The sun is much stronger in Africa, UV rays are more of a concern than not getting enough Vitamin D, thats why black skin has more melanin.

As the world moves away from being third world, more and more people live in houses, and take vitamin pills. Eventually we will all turn white, and maybe even lose the ability to produce vitamin D from sunlight.

How do Albino's factor into this?

I always find it funny when someone says that doign somethign is dumb, but do it themself..... I'm sure I have some good KDR against lots Lotus peeps, its cause I am super awesome and everyone should bow to me

I would like to derail this topic with a more scientific conversation. Sunlight can be absorbed through the skin and be used to produce vitamin D. Along with sunlight also comes with harmful UV rays. White people are adapted to more colder environments and thus with less sun intensity, their white skin helps them get the most of their vitamin D. The sun is much stronger in Africa, UV rays are more of a concern than not getting enough Vitamin D, thats why black skin has more melanin.

As the world moves away from being third world, more and more people live in houses, and take vitamin pills. Eventually we will all turn white, and maybe even lose the ability to produce vitamin D from sunlight.

Natural selection is not really pertaining to our physical features anymore. What if the next step in evolution is in someone of African descent. That person would be successful and had his genes passed along and among those genes would be melanin concentration. So if you plan on finding a reason why all black, Asian, Indian, native American, will not pass their genes along to the future with their pigments, please tell me because I truthfully do want to know if I am wrong.

Same reason why when Africans left Africa to colder places like Europe, they eventually lost pigmentation and became white people. This happened in only 50000 years. The Africans did pass their genetics but it eventually went away. There is still variation. Are you exactly the same height as your parents? Of course not. Two dark blacks can make a lighter black. And since lighter pigmentation proved to be advantageous (more vitamin D), the lighter and lighter skinned variants of the blacks performed better in Europe. Eventually they became all white. Even if the less pigmented skins performed 1% better. 3000 generations would be 1.01^3000th power.

To reiterate:

Dark black will some times have lighter black kids. The lighter black has higher survival and reproducibility. They then become the more popular trait. The lighter black will mostly have lighter black offspring, some are darker, some are even lighter. The lighter ones are more advantageous. If you reiterate this 3000 times I'm sure you get my point.

You really should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

* Genetic mutation leads to genetic variation.

* Sex adds genetic variation.

* Genetic variation makes individuals like you and me different by a bit. It also explains why you are different than your siblings.

* Natural Selection: The individual with the best traits survive and reproduce. The ones with bad traits either die, or dont get to reproduce.

* The result is a shift in the population. The ones with the good traits flourish. They represent the new gene pool

* The world is changing, the cycle continues.

The key thing you dont understand is genetic variation is inherent in evolution

Natural selection doesn't really apply to human's anymore... we support even the most disadvantaged people enough so that they can procreate.

Your argument concerning the "out of Africa" theory is imo correct; but doesn't have anything to do with what Camail said.

Sure, back when it was difficult to survive, those who could produce more Vitamin D with less sun would be more successful at procreating.

Now, as you said; we have AC, vitamin pills, houses, etc.

No matter what kind of pigmentation you have, you have equal opportunity to reproduce.

You seem to be confusing Darwin's theory with Lamarck's.

Things don't evolve just because it is advantageous to the species, it HAS to be because it provides a better shot at reproduction.

In this day and age, nothing stops us. Thusly, we never evolve in any particular direction.

Natural selection doesn't really apply to human's anymore... we support even the most disadvantaged people enough so that they can procreate.

Your argument concerning the "out of Africa" theory is imo correct; but doesn't have anything to do with what Camail said.

Sure, back when it was difficult to survive, those who could produce more Vitamin D with less sun would be more successful at procreating.

No matter what kind of pigmentation you have, you have equal opportunity to reproduce.

Things don't evolve just because it is advantageous to the species, it HAS to be because it provides a better shot at reproduction.

In this day and age, nothing stops us. Thusly, we never evolve in any particular direction.

just watch the movie Idiocracy and you will fully understand lol.

You are right that natural selection for humans is a little "weird" in that its hard to define what traits gives better advantages to reproduction. However, natural selection will always be present. The gene pool will change over time nontheless. Because of the technologies we have, we can pretty much keep anyone alive. There are fit, unfit, short, tall, different colors, all sorts of variants of humans. The variety is good. We never know whats going to happen in the future. If in the future, the environment favors one type of trait, we have 6 billion people, some groups will do better. The selection is hard to define for this century. However, if you look 1 million years into the future, you never know whats going to happen. If a new virus happens to wipe out 90% of our population, thats natural selection right there.

The human population continues to grow. We havent reached our resource limit. Once you reach that limit, there are going to be more competition. Lets say we reach population 30 billion, ppl are going to be fighting for food, then you will see a lot more selection. However, technology is still improving, who knows what that upper threshold for population we can handle.

Well I'm not arguing the facts that there are limitless scenarios, but the specific scenario of pigment does not fit into this category. And technology is advancing faster than our population and like you said there is no way to predict the future. So how would you know that we would be fighting for food? If we were to continue this argument it would all have to be based on purely speculative events making it completely useless.

All our energy plants, fuel, animals come from the sun. The sun provides about 1.1 kilowatts of energy per square meter. We obviously cant use more than this or it will violate the conservation of energy. Granted we dont use even 1% of the energy the sun provides, there is still a finite limit.

Whether we fight for food ultimately depends on our birth rates and population growth. A lot of third world places like Africa is getting plagued by AIDS, thats natural selection right there.

...we have 6 billion people...

almost 7 billion

and like i said. god did it. He made us just like we are now

stop spreading these lies about evolution, or you're going to hell

If we were to continue this argument it would all have to be based on purely speculative events making it completely useless.